|Posted by Renee Reeves on August 13, 2010 at 9:59 PM|
Posted by Good Housekeeping 08/13/2010
Rather than save up chores, I live by the philosophy "Clean as you go." In fact, I often multitask while I minitask! So the next time you're chatting on the phone or waiting for a TV show to start, look around the room (or check the list on the following pages) and see what quick job you can tackle. That way, the mess won't build up.
Don't stress about the mess! Learn how to keep it clean, room by room.
1. Wipe up spills in the refrigerator as soon as you notice them, and if you have time, do the rest of the shelf or any gloppy jar bottoms.
2. Go through just one refrigerator or pantry shelf and toss anything that's past the expiration date, that you'll never use again or that's less than a single serving.
3. Toss the jumble of unused takeout disposable containers, glass jars and condiment packages you've collected.
4. Wipe fingerprints off all the kitchen cabinets.
5. Cut time when polishing the floors: Apply the wax with a long-handled paint roller.
6. As you cook, rinse dirty utensils, pots and pans and put them in the dishwasher. You'll have the kitchen in good order when you sit down to eat, and you'll have less to clean up after dinner.
7. Ease the weekday morning rush by setting the table for breakfast before you go to bed. Put out cereal boxes, sweeteners and other nonperishable items. Prepare the coffeemaker and set the timer.
8. If the dishwasher's not full, add burner covers or small shelves from the refrigerator — anything that needs washing.
9. While you're talking on the phone or waiting on endless hold, clean out five to seven unwanted, unused things from the kitchen junk drawer or pantry or your purse.
Categories: Home Cleaning Tips